- More than anything, Steve Jobs was known for his technological innovations.
- But did you know that he dated Joan Baez or once was homeless?
Steve Jobs will long be remembered for his technological innovations that changed millions of lives. But here are some little-known facts about Apple's former CEO.
1. He tried LSD: He reportedly said it was "One of the two or three most important things I have done in my life."
2. He dated Joan Baez: Jobs dated the folk singer when he was in his 20's.
3. He was a vegetarian: PETA praised Jobs for his vegetarianism and his support of animals.
Watch the Discovery Channel's show about how Steve Jobs changed the world on Sunday, Oct. 16, at 8 pm ET/PT.
4. He saved Pixar: Jobs purchased the company from George Lucas' LucasFilm for $5M in 1986. The first film produced by Pixar under Jobs was the critically acclaimed "Toy Story." TRIBUTE: Steve Jobs: Dents in the Universe
5. He was Disney's largest shareholder: He became Disney's largest shareholder when the company bought Pixar in 2006.
6. He was offered an internship with Hewlett-Packard … in eighth grade: As an eighth-grader, he called William Hewlett, co-founder of Hewlett-Packard, to inquire about a part missing from a frequency counter he was assembling, the New York Times reports. Hewlett reportedly spoke to Jobs for 20 minutes, then offered him a bag of parts and a summer internship.
7. He and Steve Wozniak originally sold "blue boxes": The duo reportedly built so-called "blue boxes" that could trick phones into allowing users to make free calls to anywhere in the world. They reportedly raised a total of $6,000.
8. He was homeless: "I didn't have a dorm room," he said in a commencement address given at Stanford in 2005, "so I slept on the floor in friends' rooms, I returned Coke bottles for the 5-cent deposits to buy food with, and I would walk the seven miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple."
9. He patented the glass staircase in the Apple Store: He is listed among the group of inventors for 317 Apple patents.
10. He drove without a license plate for years: Jobs drove his 2007 Mercedes-Benz SL55 for years with no official license plate, just a barcode, according to USA Today.