Monster Energy Drink a Killer?
The family of a 14-year-old Maryland girl who died of cardiac arrest after drinking two cans of Monster Energy, is suing the company.
Each 0.7 liter can of Monster Energy contains 480 milligrams of caffeine, or the equivalent of 14 cans of Coca-Cola.
Unlike for sodas, there are no laws regulating how much caffeine can go into energy drinks.
Anais Fournier reportedly had what is usually a harmless heart condition, called mitral valve prolapse, which is common in as many as one in 10 people.
Fournier drank two cans of Monster Energy within a 24-hour period, and 3 hours after the second drink suffered a fatal heart-attack. Her autopsy cited "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity" as the cause of death.