Guys, the verdict is out.
The very official American Mustache Institute issued a white paper, which analyzes face-follicle data to bring you the top 10 mustache-friendly cities of 2011.
Before we get to the list, let’s clarify a few things.
- First and foremost: There’s an American Mustache Institute — so official, it even has its own .org domain. The organization is “the world’s leading facial hair think tank and advocacy organization.”
- This report came from the Behavior Economics Division of the Mustached American Research Department (within the AMI). To create the AMI City Index, the institute tapped behavioral economists, anthropologists and statisticians.
- The organization has been analyzing facial-hair data for the past two years to understand which cities are friendly toward those living a “Mustached American lifestyle.” (What exactly does a “Mustached American lifestyle” entail aside from increased use of the trimmer? See point below.)
- A formula was used to populate the AMI City Index. Cities were assigned scores based on employment (mustache-friendly employers include law enforcement, fire and rescue, EMTs and theater), transportation (per capita aggregate of motorcycles, monster trucks and in rural states, four-wheeled all-terrain vehicles), entertainment (number of professional or minor league sports teams, casinos, shooting ranges, etc.), culinary (high concentration of eateries serving Miller Light, high charcoal barbecue unit sales per capita, number of night clubs allowing adult males wearing tank tops), education (total GED or high school-equivalency degrees and volume of trade schools and community colleges). So there, an official rubric and all.
And without further ado, your top 10 list of most mustache-friendly cities:
4. Oklahoma City
8. New York
10. Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Fla.
Before celebrating, let’s also give praise to the runner ups: Boston; Albuquerque, N.M.; Green Bay, Wis.; Dallas; Bozeman, Mont.; Rome, Georgia; Cheyenne, Wyo.; Cuba, Mo.; Charleston, W.Va.; Shreveport, La.
Rock on, Chicago. You’re touting a sexy handlebar mustache.
Image: ginnerobot/Creative Commons
Follow @alicetruong on Twitter.