Reinforcing what some of us here at Cars and Bikes already knew, MotorWeek has named the Ford Mustang Boss 302 as “Best of the Year” when announcing its 2012 Drivers’ Choice Awards at the Chicago Auto Show this week.
MotorWeek is now in its 31st season (and just happens to air on our sister Velocity channel as well as PBS) and prides itself on being one of this nation’s leading sources for automotive reviews and DIY car care advice.
The annual Drivers’ Choice Awards are given out in 14 lifestyle categories and from that list an overall winner is named “Best of the Year.” The Boss 302 Mustang took top honors in its subcategory of “Best Performance Car.”
The MotorWeek Drivers’ Choice Awards are unique for their consumer focus. MotorWeek’s editorial staff evaluates more than 150 cars, trucks, and utilities based on performance, technology, practicality, fuel efficiency, and dollar value.
“We here at MotorWeek were left almost speechless that this rear-drive American muscle car is so extremely refined and works so seamlessly with the driver,” said MotorWeek host and executive producer John Davis. “The Mustang Boss 302 is the best example this year of a car where all aspects of engineering come together. As a total package, the Mustang Boss 302 is just an outstanding ride.”
We could not agree more as we took the Boss 302 out for a spin a few months ago and were completely blown away with what Ford has achieved in the new Boss.
I said it then that the Boss is back and it is bad*** and now they have the trophies confirming that.
The full list of 2012 MotorWeek Drivers’ Choice Winners are:
• Best of the Year: Ford Mustang Boss 302
• Best Subcompact Car: Kia Rio/Hyundai Accent
• Best Compact Car: Subaru Impreza
• Best Family Sedan: Hyundai Sonata/Kia Optima
• Best Minivan: Honda Odyssey
• Best Convertible: Chevrolet Camaro Convertible
• Best Luxury Sedan: Infiniti M
• Best Sport Sedan: Volkswagen Jetta GLI
• Best Sport Coupe: Cadillac CTS Coupe
• Best Performance Car: Ford Mustang Boss 302
• Best Small Utility: Mazda CX-5
• Best Large Utility: Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango
• Best Pickup Truck: Ford F-150
• Best Eco-Friendly: Toyota Prius Family
• Best Dream Machine: Ferrari 458 Italia/Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG/Porsche 911