The bikes will begin to become available next month with full rollout of both to continue through the first quarter of 2013. Pricing was announced as $18,995 for the Empulse R, which will be the first bike released followed by the Empulse later at $16,995.
The motorcycles feature a water-cooled AC motor mated to a fully-integrated electric six-speed transmission along with regenerative braking to recapture some of that spent energy. Empulse bikes will also offer Level 2 (faster) charging capability.
“It was important to Brammo to create a great motorcycle and we paid attention to customer feedback to create just that,” said Craig Bramsher, CEO and president of Brammo. “From concept to production the Empulse product has evolved quite a bit. We are bringing you a different motorcycle that promises to be more than what our riders expected.”
The differences in the two new models are described by Brammo as this: The Empulse body work is all plastic, has semi adjustable front suspension, and semi adjustable rear suspension; the Empulse R uses carbon fiber for headlight shroud, front and rear fenders, top panel, and the rear light housing.
The Brammo Empulse bikes utilize a 40kW permanent magnet AC motor powered by a 103.6 volt Lithium-Ion battery pack and offers both normal and sport driving modes. Brammo equates operating costs to one penny per mile around town and two cents a mile on the highway with an estimated fuel economy equivalent of 485 MPGe. Recharge times are listed as 8 hours via Level I and 3.5 hours with Level II charging.
The Empulse bikes weigh 440 lbs. and feature Brammo’s E-Beam aluminum frame with fully adjustable front and rear shocks and hard saddle bags and a top trunk are available as options.
Brammo Empulse and Empulse R Features and Benefits:
• 6 speed gearbox: IET/Faster off the line acceleration, higher top speed and increased range. The first real electric motorcycle.
• Rapid J1772 charging: Fully integrated J1772 charging capability confers EV status. Increased effective range and convenience. Future proof.
• 3kw on board charging: The same charging power you will find in the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf. A real EV.
• Water cooled motor: Sustained high speed performance. Reliable operation in hot climates.
• Sealed motor Long life, durability and reliability
• BPM 15/90 Battery Module: World class performance, unparalleled energy density, performs in hot and cold environments. Battery has self-contained cooling and heating capability for year round performance.
• Purpose built: The first totally ground up integrated battery, motor, transmission for an electric motorcycle.
• Regenerative braking: True sport bike feeling and handling, increased range, increased enjoyment.
• Full function dash: An informed and enjoyable riding experience Speedo, tach, range prediction, gear position, change up lights, battery condition, and much more.
• Dynamic Data Collection: Brammo black box records all on bike functions second by second to create a complete picture of every ride and charge.
• Two seats: Convenience of carrying a passenger.
• Ergonomics: Comfortable commuting – Comfortable carving…Design for the 95th %’tile man to 50th %’tile woman.
• Front Suspension: Marzocchi same as Ducati. Quality components for reliable performance, durability.
• Brakes: Brembo. Quality components for reliable performance and durability.
• Wheels: Marchesini. Quality components for reliable performance and durability.
• Frame: Brammo E-Beam™ fabricated in Italy by Accossato. Quality components for reliable performance and durability.
• Sub Frame + Swing Arm: Fabricated in Italy by Accossato to Brammo’s design. Quality components for reliable performance and durability.
• Tires: Avon. Quality components for reliable performance and durability.
• Racing heritage: A motorcycle forged in the heat of competition, Best of breed. Championship winning technology.
• Styling: All industrial design completed in house by Brammo. Naked street bike with stunning presence and head turning looks.
• Handling: The feel and thrill of a full street bike.
• Performance: A wolf in wolf’s clothing…no pretensions.
• USA: Designed, developed, tested, assembled and ridden in the USA.