Rattlesnake Snaps on Wal-Mart Shopper

//

 

Antivenin to aisle 4, please … Repeat, snake bite kit to aisle 4.

While shopping for mulch to use on his marijuana plants, Mica Craig, 47, was bitten by a rattlesnake at a Wal-Mart in Idaho. Craig may need some of that medical marijuana he legally grows to help him deal with the pain and stress of having a deadly serpent lock onto his hand.

ANALYSIS: Smoke Marijuana, Not Cigarettes, for Healthy Lungs

Craig had mistaken the snake for a stick sitting atop a mulch pile, which was in an outdoor gardening area in store's parking lot. Where’s Samuel L. Jackson when you need him to take care of snakes on a pile?

"I reached down to grab the stick to move it out of the way, and the snake stretched out, turned around and got its fangs in my right hand," Craig told MSNBC. "I slung it off and I did a tap dance on it until it was dead."

Doctors originally thought the snake hadn’t injected any venom, but after 20 minutes Craig’s hand swelled to the size of a grapefruit. He is still hospitalized.

BLOG: Denim May Guard Against Rattlesnake Bites

"As of right now, my little finger doesn't move at all and my ring finger barely moves," he said, according to radio station KIRO FM. "I'm just hoping that my hand works."

Photo: Western diamondback rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox). Credit: Clinton & Charles Robertson, Wikimedia Commons.

DISCOVERYnewsletter
 
Invalid Email